Match Report: Harlequins U17 vs Thames Valley U18

Harlequins U17
Thames Valley U18
Saturday 27th September 2013, 5.30pm Kickoff
Waikato Stadium
Result: Harlequins U17: 19
Thames Valley U18: 16
Brief summary of first half:

Taylor Hayes, Thomas Dickson , Shelby Loomans, Aaron Preest, Timothy Amai, James Parton, Travis Williamson, Sam Bowley, Nicholas McCurran , Regan Osborne , Jerome Nonoa, Josh Young, Herewini Barlow, John Vanderwee, Logan Allen.
Bailey Oliedam, Kuli Kaituu, Sanalio Taunata, Cameron Petch, Zach Cathcart, Zach Bell, Jordan Palmer, Chey Riki Hamana

This week the Harlequins took to the field for the second time this season on Rugby Park at Waikato Stadium. The Harlequins had a short training run on Thursday and weren’t pushed too hard so that they were fresh leading into Friday night’s game. Many family and friends of both teams show up for the last game of the season. With both teams testing each other in the first 5 minutes, play was a little scrappy until they settled into their work. Once the nerves were out of the way the Harlequins went about their business before being awarded a penalty. The kick missed. After some strong running in midfield the backs crashed into the Valley defence and set the ball up at the back of a ruck. The outstanding loose trio for the Harlequins then found gaps in the Thames Valley backline getting over the advantage line. Valley knocked on and gave the Harlequins a scrum mid field 25 out from there line. Josh Young the Harlequins second five eight was then rewarded using his power and crashing over for a good try. Regan Osborne kicked the conversion. From the kick off the Harlequins controlled play again before half back Nicholas McCurran kick from the base of the scrum placing the ball in behind the Valley pack. The ball was kicked out by Thames Valley and the Harlequins got a lineout ten meters from Valleys line. The control up front from the Harlequins pack was proving difficult at times for Valley and they couldn’t get their hands on the ball. Two minutes later Herewini Barlow who has been outstanding in mid field all season showed his class and found a gap in the Valley back line before scoring a great try. Regan got the conversion. Thames Valley then stepped it up finding another gear after kick off and strung together some wonderful passes putting plenty of pressure on the Harlequins team. Valleys forwards were pealing of rucks and using the ball well turning the Harlequins backs around with some nice foot work and ball handling skills. This was too much for the Harlequins and they were found offside. Valley was awarded a penalty 30 meters out in front which they made the most of drilling it right between the posts. The next 5 minutes both teams continued to test each other before the Ref blew his whistle for half time. Harlequins ahead 14 - 5.

Halftime Score: 14 - 5 to Harlequins
Brief summary of second half:

With only 35 minutes to go in the Harlequins 2013 season, coaches Deane Gage and Eru Brodie made changes at half time giving everyone time to impress at Waikato Stadium. The Harlequin boys had made the most of the second half all year and five minutes into it John Vanderwee didn’t disappoint showing his speed and skills to score a great try down the right hand side of the field. The try was un-converted. It was time for both teams to empty out the bench. These players were going to have to make an impact as the game slowed. For the next few minutes both teams were a little unsettled until they worked their way into the game. Valley was starting to string pass after pass together and looking good at set play. The players of the bench changed the game up and both teams were starting to play some great rugby. Valley then pinned the Harlequins down in their half as there impact players were making the most of their opportunities. 5 minutes later they cut loose through the middle breaking tackles and turning the Harlequins boys around before scoring a great try. It was also unconverted. Valley showed some good skills again and were awarded another penalty 15 minutes later when the Harlequins pack was found offside. Valley got the kick. Now 19-11 and Valley on a role the Harlequin boys needed to dig deep to stay in the game. But Valley had other ideas and sent the ball wide to their flying left winger who put on the after burners and ran away to score a well-deserved try down the left hand side. The conversion was un-successful. With only three point the difference now Valley pushed the Harlequins boys all the way but just couldn’t finish off. 70 minutes was up and the Ref blew the whistle on another great season for the NZ Harlequins boys, just holding on to win 19 points to 16.

Fulltime score: 19 - 16 to Harlequins
Try Scorers/Point Scorers: Try: Josh Young (1) Herewini Barlow (1) John Vanerwee (1) Conversion: Regan Osborne (2)

Thank you to our sponsors

Copyright © Harlequins Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.
chevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram