Match Report: Harlequins U17 vs Northland Vikings U18

Harlequins U17
Northland Vikings U18
Saturday 8th September 2012, 1pm Kickoff
St Pauls Collegiate School, Hamilton
Result: Harlequins U17: 26
Northland Vikings U18: 19
Brief summary of first half:

Piahana Astle-Harris, Sione Tonga, Reginald Matekohi, Angus Seddon(C), Atunaisa Katoa , Justus Riki-Hamana, Matthew Staijen, Jarrod Gwynne, Liam Robinson, Tipene Toi-Anscombe, Brandon Baillie, Denzil Southy Wilson, Satoshi Filitonga, Aaron Crow, Matthew Blackie.
Conner Fullerton, Zac Kneebone, Brody Rennie , John-Boi Nonoa, Eurgene Koning ,

This week’s game was at the Harlequins home ground, St Pauls Collegiate against a very strong well drilled looking Northland Vikings side. Conditions were overcast and the rain held off giving both sides a good chance to play some good free flowing rugby in front of a good crowd.
The Harlequins team kicked off with the wind behind them and the game started with both teams testing each other early, spinning the ball from side to side before settling into some grunt work up front from both forward packs. The Vikings side looked the bigger team but this didn’t seem to worry the Harlequin boys, as they ran the big boys around the field making the most of their opportunities. Five minutes into the game the Harlequin boys got a free kick, but this was knocked on from the quick tap which gave the Vikings a chance to feed their back line and they made plenty of ground deep into the Harlequins half. They then put a kick over top in behind the Harlequins back line and all they could do was run it out. The ball was then thrown away and the Vikings were awarded a free kick. They kicked for the corner and applied more pressure. This was starting to pay off as the Harlequins defence was tiring and they were called again for being offside at the ruck. From the lineout the Vikings made the most of the next three or four rucks before crossing for a well deserved try. The conversion went over and they lead 7-0. The Harlequins kicked off and fought back managing to get the turnover from some good forward work. They then set their back line alight which strung some very good passing together and managed to turn the Vikings around. The ball was picked up from the back of the scrum and passed to Liam who worked his magic again before dotting down beside the posts. He also took the conversion and the scores were levelled again at seven all. The Harlequins made a mess of the kick off and the Vikings managed to hold the ball turning it into attack for the next five minutes before crossing the try line again. This time the conversion missed. From the kick off the Harlequins worked their way back up field keeping hold of the ball and after the back line worked a few moves down the right hand edge they put a kick through to put the Vikings under all sorts of pressure, the boys smashed into the ruck and after a short pass in the 34 minute, Brody Rennie who had replaced Reginald Matekohi at prop, crashed over for his first try this season. Liam missed the conversion. A few minutes later the Ref blew his whistle for half time. Both teams were locked up at 12-12.

Halftime Score: 12 - 12 to Harlequins
Brief summary of second half:

The second half got underway and from the kick off Angus Seddon showed for the second week in a row his skills and line speed pushing the Vikings aside to gain 20 meters up field and put the Harlequins side in an attacking position. The Harlequins forward pack started to step it up as they turned the Vikings around time after time. This gave the Harlequins back line some great front foot ball and they made the most of it as Denzil Southy-Wilson cut though the Vikings back line to cross for his second try in as many weeks, three minutes into the second half. Tipene Toi-Anscombe stepped up and nailed the conversion. From the kick off the Vikings spread the ball wide and moved the Harlequins around for the next eight minutes. This put a heap of pressure on the Harlequins line but they defended well, before regaining the ball and making their way back down into the Viking half. From set move to set move they kept themselves on attack. First five Tipene, put a very well placed kick over the Vikings pack and the bounce was regained from the Harlequins but the next pass was put down just short of the Vikings line. From the scrum the Vikings cleared the ball well down field and they attacked through their backs before cracking the Harlequins midfield apart for their third of the day. Their kicker put the conversion over. This seems to be a wakeup call for the Harlequins side who fought back almost immediately though the forward pack and back line combining to set Liam up again to score his second for the day in the 28th minute. He also put the conversion between the posts. Both teams attacked back and forward for the next few minutes, until the Harlequins cut loss making a 40 meter break up field and stay camped on the Vikings line. The Harlequins forward pack pushed ahead time after time but could not get over the Vikings line. This pressure continued until the Vikings gave away a penalty 10 meters from their line. The Harlequins kicked it out and the game was over, ending with the Harlequins side winning 26 points to 19.

Fulltime score: 26 - 19 to Harlequins
This was the Harlequins biggest contest to date and they were pushed all the way before coming out on top. Credit must also go to the Vikings who played very well. Try Scorers/Point Scorers: Tries: Liam Robinson (2), Brody Rennie (1), Denzil Southy-Wilson (1) Conversions: Tipene Toi-Anscombe (1), Liam Robinson (2)

Thank you to our sponsors

Copyright © Harlequins Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.
chevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram