Match Report: Harlequins U17 vs Thames Valley U18

Harlequins U17
Thames Valley U18
Saturday 1st September 2012, 1pm Kickoff
Thames RSC, Rhodes Park, Thames
Result: Harlequins U17: 46
Thames Valley U18: 10
Brief summary of first half:

Piahana Astle-Harris, Sione Tonga, Reginald Matekohi, Angus Seddon(C), Benjamin Greene, Atunaisa Katoa , Matthew Staijen, Jarrod Gwynne, Liam Robinson, Tipene Toi-Anscombe, Brandon Baillie, Denzil Southy Wilson, Satoshi Filitonga, Justus Riki-Hamana, Matthew Blackie.
Conner Fullerton , Zac Kneebone , Brody Rennie , John-Boi Nonoa, Eurgene Koning , TeMaire Martin

The Clouds rolled over Rhodes Park in Thames as the Harlequins got underway against a much bigger Thames Valley U18 side. Thames Valley won the toss and chose to run into a strong head. The Harlequin boys knew this wind behind them was worth at least (30) points and they went about their business looking like they had been together for years. Thames Valley kicked off, and straight away the Harlequins put a kick back down into the corner and that’s where they camped for the next 15 minutes. After some strong driving by the Harlequin forward pack, Denzil Southy Wilson showed his strength and burst through the Thames Valley back line to feed Matthew Blackie, who was far too quick for the covering defence scoring an outstanding try. Tipene Toi-Anscmbe missed the kick but he didn’t have to wait long before getting another chance. Valley couldn’t control the Harlequins back line as they smashed and bashed there way 30 meters back up the field. Again Denzil made the Valley backs pay as he cut though them before getting tackled 15 meters into the Valley half. From the ruck, Liam Robinson who started in the 9 jersey this week showed his strength bouncing from player to player before crossing for this second try in as many weeks. He then took over the kicking duties and put it between the posts. Again, from the kick off the backs showed their class cutting through Valley out wide then moving it back into the forward pack so they could attack up the middle. From the next ruck, Satoshi Filitonga crashed over 22 minutes into the game to score his first try of the season. Liam stepped up but missed the conversion. Again Thames Valley had to kick off but this time it didn’t make the 10 meter line, and the Harlequins made them pay. Firstly the forward pack ran them all over the park before Piahana Astle-Harris who was having an outstanding game crossed for his first try of the season. Liam kicked the conversion. From the kick off again the Harlequins made huge ground up the field before feeding Tipene who used some great foot work to dot down himself. Liam missing the conversion. Thames Valley then started to get into the game but it didn’t last long before a kick down field and some strong defence on the Valley 10 meter mark turned the ball over, from this Atunaisa Katoa and Matty Staijen made some very good ground before the forward crash into the ruck. Liam took the ball from the back of the scum, placing a kick over the top and putting the Harlequins on attack, 5m from the Valley line. Jarrod Gwynne playing at No8, who was also having a very strong game, feed Reginald Matekohi the big storming prop who got rid of the rest of the Valley pack and crashed over for his first and the six try of the day. Liam missed the conversion and the Harlequins went into the break 34 points to nil.

Halftime Score: 34 - 0 to Harlequins
Brief summary of second half:

The second half started with a knock on by the Harlequins which put Thames Valley on the attack for the next five minutes. But Valley didn’t come away with any points and this gave the Harlequins a chance to get back into the game. John-Boi Nonoa who had stayed back to support his good friend that morning at his mum’s funnel managed to get to Thames arriving just before kickoff and replaced Jarrod Gwynne at half time. This must have given him strength as he dotted down eight minutes into the second half. Tipene got the conversion and the Harlequins were away again. This time the back line was set alight down the left hand edge and once the ball was in Matt Blackie hands again he ran away with it to score his second for the day. Tipene stepped up but just missed the conversion. Valley got another chance to kick off and Angus Seddon showed why he has been named Captain for the Harlequins 2012 season, using his speed and ball skills with an outstanding 30 meter run deep into the Valley half. Valley came back and was given a penalty on the half way line. Up stepped their first 5/8 and he slotted it from 50 meters out. Almost immediately after the kick off Valley were back down in the Harlequins 22. Again their first 5/8 put a kick though and they got it back to score their first five pointer of the game. They also got the conversion. The game then went back and forward for the next ten minutes, with both coaches using their bench.

Fulltime score: 46 - 10 to Harlequins
Overall it was an outstanding effort from the Harlequin boys who played their hearts out for one of their respected team mates, Brigham Parai. Try Scorers/Point Scorers: Tries: Matthew Blackie (2), Liam Robinson, Satoshi Filitonga, Piahana Astle – Harris, Tipene Toi-Anscombe, Reginald Matekohi, John-Boi Nonoa Conversions: Tipene Toi-Anscombe (1), Liam Robinson (2)

Thank you to our sponsors

Copyright © Harlequins Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.
chevron-downmenu-circlecross-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram